Monday, March 3, 2014

Cliffside at Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge

I had read a few months ago about this rope bridge in the north and I was very excited to be here. When I had told Joe about it he said I could do it with the children because there was no way he was walking over a rope bridge 100 feet above the water. The weather when we arrived was misty and then it started to rain on and off. We paid our entry fee and started our venture. It was a 1km hike to the rope bridge. I was so glad the bridge was open because I had read they close it down when the winds are high. 
The path meandered along the cliff and led straight to the legendary rope bridge. It was a really pretty walk and great views out to the ocean. I'm sure on a clear day the views would be incredible and apparently you can see some of Scotland's islands. But it was too misty to see Scotland when we were there. 


Our first glimpse of the rope bridge

Getting read to cross the bridge!
This is going to be FUN!

Fisherman have been using this bridge for over 350 years. They used to cross the bridge (which used to just have one handrail and much larger gaps in the slats) to fish for salmon on the Carrickarede Island. Today the bridge still gives access to the salmon nets that are set during the summer months. In 2008 the bridge was redesigned and opened to the public. The bridge is 65 feet long between the mainland and the island, and is 100 feet above the water.

This is the video that I took crossing over the bridge. Joe decided that he could cross this bridge no problem so he held Lauren's hand.  My video only lasts halfway crossing the bridge because when I got out there and the wind kicked in, and then I tried to take video looking down at the water…vertigo! I had to turn off the camera and use both hands on the ropes to finish crossing it. We were told that no one has ever fallen off the bridge, but there have been many instances where visitors are unable to face the walk back across the bridge and have had to be taken off the island by boat. 

The view from Carrickarede Island


We did it! We crossed the rope bridge and we are still alive! 
Awwww look!!
View of the mainland
 
Carrickarede Island

Crossing the bridge back to the mainland
Joe took the video going back over the bridge. He decided to just let the camera hang around his neck while he held L's hand crossing. You can hear L yelling over to K, "I love you."

The weather started to clean up a little on our hike back to the car. It was really pretty looking out to the water. The water really is so blue.





M pointed out this book to me in the shop at the visitors center. It made me laugh the book was called, "Joseph and the Rope Bridge." Remember Joe is the one that said he would not cross the bridge but then he did! So proud of him! 

Next stop: Old Bushmills Distillery

5 comments:

  1. Those are fabulous shots! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already got to see all of these pics through Joe (i love cheating!) and now I absolutely want to go here and to the causeway. I may have to move to Ireland for a year...

    It was nice to see you in several pics. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cheated!!! I can't believe you! You better be working on your lists you cant do it all! ha!

      Delete
  3. And can you imagine someone building that bridge 350 years ago? Or now, for that matter?

    ReplyDelete

Say hello - I'd love to hear from you!